Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving....

.....in the USA only (insert sad face icon).

There's no American Thanksgiving holiday here in Korea, Samsung will be open for business so RCP will be at work and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to spend the holiday yet. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving however, just on Saturday, in the form of a potluck dinner with 14 other Samsung people at Heather and Brian's house. Yes, they have Butterball Turkey's here, that appeared only a few weeks ago at select expat marts, along with aluminum roasting pans. Our hosts are taking care of the tukey, stuffing, pies and cranberry sauce. Another couple is bringing sweet potatoes and baked apples. It will be interesting to see what the others bring since half of them are single guys. Since I don't like sweet potatoes and I don't like to bake desserts, I'm going to take a vegetable crudite (since I brought a packet of that Hidden Valley Ranch powder from home that you mix with sour creme for dips...this is the perfect occasion to use it). I'm also going to attempt to make Mom's famous scalloped potatoes and either a green bean casserole or green beans in a shallot dressing with dried cherries and walnuts. I haven't decided. I'm tempted to take two casserole-like dishes because they're so Southern and anything with pre-cooked ingredients and cans of Campbell's "Cream of (anything)" is hard to mess up, even if you're using a Korean oven. Casseroles are also easy to transport across the neighborhood. We can't wait!

Spotted at High Street Market: Thanksgiving ingredients!
It was limited, but they had bay leaves(!!!!), 
which I need when I begin my self-taught French cooking lessons.

Canned cranberry sauce is better than nothing!
If this "pumpkin paste" is the same thing as "pumpkin pie filling"
they should just call it "filling" or "puree" not "paste".

No comments:

Post a Comment