Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Pixelation Creation

Approximately one month, 17 hours, three movies and 109 songs later we now have one piece of art for the apartment! White walls, beware! You are about to be decorated! I have finally finished  a giant collage made entirely of tiny 1 inch by .5 inch rectangles of magazine ad pages. Why I chose this rather small medium to work with, I'm not quite sure. Tiny pieces of paper and glue sticks can quickly become a very frustrating situation. I don't recommend it for those with little patience, which normally includes myself, but with the successful completion of this project perhaps I'm learning to tame the usual intolerance for time-consuming, monotonous work.

I don't think I've worked with such diligence on an art project since being in AP Art my senior year in high school when I usually waited until the night before something was due to start churning things out. I always used to say that my best ideas came at the last minute, late at night. I still believe that. This was also the first time since high school that I have had a dining room table to make a complete mess at...and a place to leave it for extended periods of time. However, I have to admit that the reason the project took so long to finish was a short stint of artist's block. So I just put the whole project under the bed for most of last month. Sometimes even good things need to marinate a little to become even better.

The piece is entitled "Pixelation". You don't have to like it. It kind of has an old video game vibe to it and it's very colorful....which isn't everyone's cup of tea. I have my own interpretation of what it means, but I'll let you come up with your own.  I was a marketing major and in retail, so I'm really good at creating a story out of nothing and selling things to people. You should create your own story behind the pixels. That's what art's all about anyway.

"Pixelation"
Detail Shots












A Work in Progress



Always work through dinner when you're on a roll.

1 comment: