Monday, October 17, 2011

Visitors Welcome!

We can now hang our vacancy sign up as our second bedroom is now officially a bedroom. Through RCP's saavy dealings on Craigslist, we now have a bed for the guest bedroom from a Swedish guy who not only delivered it to our apartment at 10:30 pm, but assembled it for us as well. He also threw in the matching nightstand for free.

It's pretty exciting having a guest bedroom, as it just sounds like a very grownup thing to have. I actually enjoyed the room even when it was empty. It was nice having a giant open space to dry laundry and store empty luggage in. This is the first time we've ever had EXTRA space in an apartment to deal with. It's funny how having the extra space just makes you itch to fill it up, ultimately creating less space.

After getting the bed, and learning a thing or two about a Swedish guy who works in Korean television, I couldn't wait to try to find bedding for this new piece of furniture. I have to give RCP credit for picking out the master bedroom bedding all by himself. I absolutely love it. I hadn't arrived in Seoul yet, and was somewhat worried when he told me he went and bought bedding, mainly because he's color blind, so God only knows what he could have picked out. Thankfully he can see white as white and thankfully he didn't know where to go, so he ended up in the premium bedding section at the mall. Needless to say, after his experience, I was in charge of the guest bedroom and not allowed to go premium in there. So like any good housewife, I went to Target....or Emart in our case. I have always had problems with decision making, especially when it involves something decorative in nature, but the problem here wasn't that there were too many choices or not knowing what look I wanted for the bed. Oh no, not by a long shot. The problem was that there was just nothing to choose from. It was kind of unbelievable because there were plenty of options, just nothing that I was going to let into my guest bedroom.  I haven't really figured out what style category the bedding at Emart would fall into, all I can tell you is there was a lot of fuchsia and purple, a lot of patterns perfect for a teenager's room in 1985, and bedding by Esprit. I think the last time I bought anything Esprit, I was in the sixth grade. Not about to let any of that in my house, after three hours of deliberations, I finally decided on a modern, grey and white, abstract flower motif. It works....and hopefully I can sell it when we leave.

So now we're taking any and all visitors! Come on down y'all! (I guess technically it would be come on AROUND y'all.....around to the other side of the world.)

Our Guest Bedroom Disclaimer: Koreans traditionally sleep on the floor, and their mattresses, it seems, have had trouble evolving into something softer than the hard wood floor. So feel free to bring a mattress pad, pillow top, or even an old comforter that you don't need anymore. If you don't, you might need some Advil with your coffee the next morning. That whole idea of a firm mattress being good for you? Yeah, not so much.

As comfy and soft as a cloud...in your dreams, not in reality.

 It works....just need some color on the walls.

The guest bedroom is still technically a storage and laundry room, 
but we'll get this cleaned up before you arrive.




No comments:

Post a Comment