Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Airing the Dirty Laundry

I intended for this blog to read like a journal. A daily account of life here in Seoul written and posted in the order the events occur. I did have a full day of exploring Seoul's most famous landmark which I can't wait to tell you about however, since even the most normal and mundane activities of human existence are having to be re-learned, like doing the laundry, I thought everyone might find it interesting to see how Koreans do it.....so let's air RCP's dirty laundry.

We have this beautiful, brand-new Samsung washing machine. It looks like it's missing it's other half, the dryer, but the two are all part of the same unit. I've always wondered how this works, since it involves water and then somehow hot air has to be blown, assuming out of the same place the water comes from. Strange. However, we won't be exploring the engineering of the machine this go-around, since we purchased that clothes drying rack at E-Mart a couple of days ago.

I was a little intimidated, especially because there were no helpful drawings accompanying the Korean buttons....so I chose to start with a load of RCP's boxers. This way, in the event of a mishap, the only loss would be underwear. Below you can view a step-by-step pictorial of doing the laundry with a Korean washing machine. The highlight of the process? A wonderful 30 second, video game-esque jingle when the spin cycle was complete. It was so uplifting and happy that it actually got me really excited to hang all of the boxers up, one-by-one, to dry.

At the end of this RCP's boxers will either be clean
or shrunken and bleached.

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Laundry cheat sheet.


Lights are good.


I love that the "play" means "start".

The airing of RCP's clean laundry.

I wonder if I will be able to dry ALL of the laundry like this for the next two years.
A new appreciation for laundry has definitely been cultivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment